by Gabriele Dallmann
You typically react with respect – big respect - when you talk about participation in the annual BIO International Convention, THE event for all biotechies.
- with respect on the event: it is simply huge and you will have walked a marathon at least at the end and have shaked hands of numerous people you run into or meet the first time,
- with respect on the program: it is remarkably interesting and covering a large variety of up-to-date topics,
- with respect on the time investment: you will be out of office for six full days and really busy with BIO during that time. And about money we do not talk here...as BIO is worth all investments!
BIO celebrates this year 25 Years on BIO Innovation. We decided to be there this year, in Boston, as the BIO attracts 16,000+ biotechnology and pharma leaders from 76 countries, among them 2,500 CEOs who come together for one week of intensive networking to discover new opportunities and promising partnerships. The number of 5,000+ attending companies and 1,800+ exhibiting companies makes us curious as this unique event brings together a wide spectrum of life science and application areas by which we will return with gorgeous insights and impressions of that current global life science landscape. All currently interesting areas are covered including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
Apart of the intensive one-on-one partnering schedule which is filling our calendar, we will attend selected sessions of the conference program. Our favourites are the following sessions at the moment:
- FDA TOWN HALL SESSION
- US CELL & GENE THERAPY REGULATORY POLICY UPDATE
- USING REAL WORLD EVIDENCE TO ACCELERATE DRUG DEVELOPMENT
- THE NEXT GENERATION OF PERSONALIZED MEDICINES - A NEW REGULATORY PARADIGM FOR NGS (NEXT GENERATION SEQUENCING) PANELS
- PERSONALIZED MEDICINE IN ACTION: EXAMPLES OF CLINICAL IMPLEMENTATION
- FIRESIDE CHAT WITH DR. SCOTT GOTTLIEB, COMMISSIONER, US FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
For us at Biopharma Excellence, this event is so interesting and inspiring as in our projects we typically integrate support provided in the definition of the scientific and regulatory development with regulatory services. Thus, for product classes we work on including antibodies, recombinant proteins, vaccines, ATMPs, oncolytic viruses, biosimilars, we define with the clients the development programs towards EU and US approval and support them with the regulatory documents and dossiers needed to pursue their plans and meet their targets. Our goal is to find the best possible way to reach this target, by identifying a scientifically sound but most pragmatic way forward. This works best with the necessary know-how and experience in place with experts of different disciplines.
Participation in BIO 2018 will allow us to remain up-to-date, by listening to the speakers from industry and FDA, to get the information from meetings with exhibitors and from numerous other resources provided. And as unique as the whole event will be the concert with Diana Ross Live@BIO2018. Wow, we really look forward! Upon return, we will have so many inspirations that we will share them with you in the next newsletter!